What artists should blog about
A blog is only useful if the person doing it is enjoying it. This should probably go without saying, but, from some of the things that I see on the Web, it would seem that some people need it said! Once you have that prerequisite going for you, inspiration for blog posts is really pretty easy to come by:
1) Talk about the things that make you feel happy, sad, and any other strong emotion.
This includes your art, but you don’t have to limit yourself to that. If it’s something you’re passionate about, it will be interesting for the audience.
2) Share your opinions.
If you’re too scared to reveal what you really think about things, blogging is probably not a good fit for you.
- In this article, I embrace a rather unpopular stance in a fairly feisty manner.
3) Review art, books, or other media.
You don’t even have to make it clear that the post is a review. Often, I’ll read something or see something that I don’t agree with, and it will move me to write my own take on it.
4) Along the same lines, steal ideas from other artists’ blogs.
The easiest answer to the question of what artists should blog about is found daily on your peers’ platforms.
5) Respond to questions from your audience.
Instead of doing a FAQ section for your site, blog about the things which people ask you about your art, whether you get the question a lot or the query is an unusual one.
6) Recycle old posts.
If it was worth blogging about once, it might be a good idea to revisit it from a slightly different perspective or in a new format—redoing an article as a vlog, for example.
And, speaking of blogging, today is Face Making’s fifth birthday! To celebrate, here’s a round-up of this year’s top ten posts:
- The real gift / Le vrai don
- Why I don’t shave my legs / Pourquoi je ne me rase pas mes jambes
- Why are you an artist?
- On men’s rights advocacy and feminism
- Sex and procreation / Les relations sexuelles et la procréation
- How to price art
- Natural style / Un style naturel
- Not painting my vagina / Ne pas peindre mon vagin
- Copyright is for scaredy-cats. / Le droit d’auteur, c’est pour les peureux.
- I don’t do drugs.
Also, I just added a category to my blog which features my top posts from all my five years of writing and video-making!
If you pledge $1 of support per month through Patreon, you’ll receive email updates whenever I post on this blog or create a new artwork, and you’ll be eligible for giveaways of original art like this one!